Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sylvester Turner to Run for Speaker

Several news organizations are about to report that Sylvester Turner has filed his paperwork to run for Speaker in 2009. More to come ...

UPDATE 1: Kristen Mack of the Houston Chronicle gets the story up at 12:30 p.m.:
May 30, 2007
Sylvester Turner files for Speaker
State Rep. Sylvester Turner makes it official. He officially defected from House Speaker Tom Craddick's camp when he filed his paper work today for the 2009 House Speaker's race. Here's part of his release:
"I don't ever want to have another legislative session like the one just completed where taking care of the people's business took a back seat to political agendas," Turner said. "We have too many problems in this state to waste most of a legislative session on political agendas that will not provide insurance to children with no health care, that will not provide lower electric rates to seniors and those with little income, that will not provide more funding for mental health programs."
"I have worked effectively in the House under a Democratic majority," Turner said, "and I have worked effectively in the House under a Republican majority. I have sought to treat every member with the utmost respect and I have worked to operate the House with the utmost degree of integrity.
"I sincerely hope that over the next 18 months, members will evaluate and assess my abilities," Turner continued. "I believe I am the best person to serve as Speaker in 2009 and I hope the members will give me the opportunity to serve as their Speaker."

UPDATE 2: Harvey Kronberg's Quorum Report gets the story up at 12:56 p.m.:
May 30, 2007 12:56 PM
SYLVESTER TURNER FILES TO RUN FOR SPEAKER IN 2009
Key Craddick supporter jumps ship
In his statetment, Sylvester Turner (D-Houston) said, "“I don’t ever want to have another legislative session like the one just completed where taking care of the people’s business took a back seat to political agendas. We have too many problems in this state to waste most of a legislative session on political agendas that do not include providing lower electric rates to the low-income and elderly or more funding for mental health programs."
“I have worked effectively in the House under a Democratic majority,” Turner said, “and I have worked effectively in the House under a Republican majority. I have sought to treat every member with the utmost respect and I have worked to operate the House with the utmost degree of integrity."
“I sincerely hope that over the next 18 months, members will evaluate and assess my abilities,” Turner continued. “I believe I am the best person to serve as Speaker in 2009 and I hope the members will give me the opportunity to serve as their Speaker.”
Check out Turner's complete
statement

UPDATE 3: Burnt Orange Report gets the story up at 1:10 p.m. BOR's Matt Glazer has an interesting theory about why Turner, Craddick's Speaker Pro Tem and staunchest defender, is running:
Interestingly, Turner's early support for Craddick is a main reason Craddick remained Speaker. Some speculation is that Craddick sees the writing on the wall, and is not 100% sure Republicans can maintain control of the House.
This unease has caused Craddick to ask Turner to run so he can still have influence over the next Speaker. There are only 4 people that believe that the rule of the Speaker is absolute, Craddick, Turner, Keel, and Wilson. Makes sense that Craddick would want his legacy to continue.
UPDATE 4: Charles Kuffner at Off the Kuff also has the story.

No comments: