Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mom's Cows


My mom spent the last three months of her life in a nursing home in LaVernia, a little town just outside of San Antonio. My sister, brother-in-law and niece live there, and so it made sense for her to be there, and my kin out there did a wonderful job of caring for her.
In the evenings, they'd take her for a little stroll around the property. One evening Mom spied some cattle in the field next door to the nursing home, and in no time had befriended and named them. From left to right, they are Pico, Frances and Julie.
For most of the summer, we'd take a little walk in the evening and call the cows over to the fence, where my mom would talk to them and we'd feed them some grass or hay. It's a tribute to the way my mom lived that some cows became part of the extended family.
Life is so beautiful sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deece

I love this story!

Nancy