Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Night

I'm sitting at home on Friday night, listening to the soft tick of a slow rain on the leaves in my back yard. It's a little cold and damp, but I'm on the patio so at least it's not raining on me. I think this rain will last all weekend, if not the chilly temperatures.

It sure is an interesting time for a Texas political junkie like me. I took the evening off from trying to keep up with news shows, websites and blogs, which is what I normally do. It is like trying to drink water out of a firehose -- too much information, too much Us Versus Them, too much noise. I think we political junkies have to remember that for most Americans, life goes on without the latest crosstabs from Texas or polling from Peoria.

Out in Real America, people are seeing movies tonight, or having dinner at home as a family, or going to the movies with their friends, or lining up to get into a club to hear some live music. Their eyes don't tear up with inspiration when they watch the "Yes We Can" video or with laughter when they watch the "John McCain: Three Words" video. They don't spend an hour -- as I did today -- parsing the crosstabs from the Texas Credit Union League poll to glean insights into the possible trajectories of March 4.

Are they missing something? Am I?

1 comment:

Lydia said...

You are listening the rain, this is something!

Here it does rain so little. Today is a rainy day, and I hope rain will perdure for some days more.

We have elections in Spain March the 9. I think I will not go to vote.

You know something? I have found finally a house in a village of 22 old people! I think I will go to live there, far away of civilisation. But with my computer.:)

Have a beautiful Sunday!