Sunday, January 7, 2007

Let It Snow -- in Texas

When I was out in West Texas a couple weeks ago, we were treated to some snow in the high desert country of the Big Bend. The snow fell overnight on Thursday, December 28 and I spent that Friday driving around and snapping some pictures.

As a native of San Antonio and a 20-year resident of Austin, I am not used to the words "Texas" and "snow" in close proximity, although I realize parts of our state get snow on almost an annual basis.

I've spent lots of time in the Big Bend region, though, and never thought of its sweeping vistas and sere landscapes in snow-covered terms. So it was a delight to see some of that area under a blanket of snow and clouds. I want to share some pictures, both to celebrate the natural beauty of that area and because, as far as I know, that snow is long gone by now.

Hilltops outside of Alpine. The view of the cloud-wrapped peaks, with wind and fog blowing off them, and the snow-covered slopes below was majestic.

A picture of the high desert outside of Shafter, on the road between Marfa and Presidio. This was taken about 11:30 a.m.; by the time I came through on my way back to Marathon later that day, this snow was gone.








My dog Xena standing in the snow just west of Alpine. She's only seen snow once before, in Montana in 2001. I tried to get her to sit for her "portrait," but she was having none of it.





No comments: